Tanzania is a vast canvas on which to paint your safari dreams, and these lodges provide the luxury and service you need to safari in style. Here are the best luxury safari lodges in Tanzania:
SINGITA SASAKWA LODGE
One of the best-known safari brands in South Africa, Singita has more recently opened some of the best luxury safari lodges in Tanzania. Singita Sasakwa places guests front and centre for the passing of the annual Great Wildebeest Migration – and achieves this in some style. The lodge itself is reminiscent of an Edwardian manor house, and simply oozes old world charm and elegance. No expense has been spared in furnishing the guest cottages to the highest standards, and the incredible décor scheme sees antiques sit side-by-side with tribal art. Beyond the lodge, the vast Grumeti Concession unfurls across the immense plains of northern Tanzania. Singita Sasakwa has everything you need for a once-in-a-lifetime safari experience; but equally, it offers a safari lifestyle that you could very soon grow accustomed to!
- Choose the adjacent Hillside Suite for ultimate privacy and exclusivity.
- Feel the sense of freedom that comes with panoramic Serengeti views.
- Relive the past with elegant lawn lunches or a set or two of tennis.
ASILIA JABALI RIDGE
This remarkable lodge is sheltered amongst giant boulders on a ridge overlooking the otherworldly, baobab-studded Ruaha National Park. This is one of Tanzania’s less well-known wildlife areas – a fact that those who are familiar with it, greatly appreciate. Built atop giant boulders, Jabali Ridge’s eight rooms offer tremendous views over the savanna. Every aspect of the lodge design is geared towards comfort, but its neutral palettes and understated elegance also ensure that nothing detracts from its incredible setting. Jabali Ridge offers the ultimate luxuries of serenity and time to reflect on the natural wonders that are all around – including exceptional predator viewing in the core safari area of the Mwagusi River. This is a true getaway, in the very best sense of the word.
- Enjoy being in the midst of prolific wildlife.
- Take a dip in the infinity pool – with views that extend forever.
- Experience the indulgent minimalism of the guest suites.
CHEM CHEM LODGE
Chem Chem Lodge has one of the loveliest settings of any lodge anywhere. That’s quite a claim, but it’s one that’s fully justified the moment you see its location on the eastern shores of Tanzania’s Lake Manyara. The 5-star lodge is set within luscious palm-island and consists of an opulent main house and eight secluded tent-style suites. Each suite is designed to evoke the spirit, luxury, and intimacy of an authentic vintage safari experience. Chem Chem is a place where time can stand still, and you can appreciate each moment at your own pace – unless of course you accept the challenge of a run across the plains in the company of a Maasai warrior to jog your ancestral memories of being an African hunter.
- Chem Chem Lodge is known in Tanzania as the ‘sunset lodge’ – a title which many other lodges would love to have!
- Bring your binoculars – Lake Manyara is a paradise for birds and birders!
- Enjoy respectful interactions with the lodge’s Maasai neighbours.
&BEYOND CRATER LODGE
Known as the ‘Maasai Versailles’, this astonishing property overlooks one of Tanzania’s most remarkable wildlife destinations: the Ngorongoro Crater. Perched on the lip of the Crater, this is the absolute closest you can stay to this remarkable extinct volcano and its teeming wildlife. In terms of décor, this lodge pulls off what might seem an impossible task: combining almost extravagant design details with banana leaf ceilings and thatched roofs. Crater Lodge does this in some style, and all whilst adopting a reverential attitude to its setting. Each of the guest suites is raised on stilts for still more comprehensive views, which can be enjoyed even from the ornate and indulgent bathrooms. This has been described as the ‘lodge on top of the world’, which is almost certainly how you’ll feel when you’re here.
- Share a 4-person suite with your kids for the ultimate family safari.
- Experience warm yet impeccable service that anticipates your every need.
- Descend into the Crater on game drives for remarkable wildlife experiences.
Mwiba Lodge offers exclusive access to a private wildlife reserve that adjoins the southern Serengeti. At first Mwiba Lodge may be hard to find, it is scattered among massive boulders and vegetation overlooking the Arugusinyai River. The ten tented suites include two which are adjoining (perfect for families) provide the ultimate height of luxury, with hardwood floors and canopied king-size beds. Each suite is all but invisible to the next, giving guests the feeling of having their own personal compound. At Mwiba, space is considered to be the ultimate luxury and you’ll enjoy ample room to breathe.
- This area is home to some of Tanzania’s most traditional tribes, allowing insights into compelling cultures.
- The lodge’s elevated position gives you dramatic vistas down to the river and further afield.
- Slow things down with a guided bush walk and focus on the smaller details.
Feeling inspired to plan your own Tanzanian adventure? Reach out to the Alluring Africa team for help.